Thursday, February 12, 2009

Baby Love

Does anyone out there watch the baby story on TLC? I have seen the show many times, and every time the new mom goes on and on about how much she loves her new baby. Many mom’s comment that they could never imagine loving anything as much as they love their new baby.

However, I read in “What to Expect When Your Expecting” that that is not always the case, and it was not the case when I had the peanut. After hard pushing for three hours, the first thing I felt was relief, not love when I met him. Then after having no sleep for 30 hours, I was expected to help care for him. Love was not the first word that came to mind.

The weeks that followed were equally as hard. No sleep, and the constant demands of a baby did not add to loving feelings. But then I realized something. Love is a choice. And as I choose to love him, loving feelings soon came.

So what about you mom’s out there? Was it love at first sight with you and your baby? Or like me, did it take awhile?

2 comments:

Rain said...

Well for me Like you said once the baby was out the first thing I felt was relief but I was extremely happy and I would have to say that I was instantly in love with my baby. But Alyssa did have her days and nights confused like Josiah and over the next couple days in the hospital (we ended up having to stay for 3 days) I do recall asking for them to please take her away for a while so I could sleep. I literally had to demand it cause they were all about keeping the baby in the room with the mother at that time. But after we got home and a few weeks went by and she finally got her days and nights correct all frustration went away for me. and now I would not change it even if I could.

Anonymous said...

I'm a horrible example of "Baby-Love" cuz I went totally mental and wouldn't let anyone near Leah when she was born. Didn't want them holding her, touching her, looking at her. I sorta lost my mind those first few days -- hormone overload. The emotions were too much for me -- but the heart love came slowly and yes, it's a choice! She's 18 and it's still a choice. :) Amy (oaks)