Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Burma



Warning....my posts are generally very light hearted, and never political. However, this one is not light hearted and it is political. So be warned. :-)

Today on Comcast website it had an article about a grand wedding that took place in Burma (also know as Myanmar, located in Asia)for the dictators daughter. Burma is said to be one of the poorest countries on the planet, but this wedding is estimated to cost $300,000. The people of Burma have been outraged about this. They are living in poverty and their dictator throws a huge wedding. This would make me mad also, but does it really surprise me? Nope

I spent a very short amount of time in Burma while I was teaching in English in Thailand, and it was by far the scariest place I have ever been. Freedom is such a laughable word in this place. The dictator makes sure that they remain a very isolated country by not allowing reporters in the country. If people are caught with a fax machine or a Internet hook up they are put in jail for 15 years!

My heart goes out for the people of Burma. My heart longs for the day when all God's children will be free. My heart is in constant prayer for them.

No comments: