Sunday, November 19, 2006

Life in the Backseat


Today Donnie and I spent a great deal of time in the car. To church, to my parents, to the hospital, to the church Donnie was raised in, to Peggy's house, to the strip club (I'll explain a bit latter) and home.

A good deal of this I was in the backseat. While we were driving my car, Mint, Donnie was driving because he knew the area better. I was in the backseat so the guest in the car could have the front seat. Seeing that Mint only has two doors I did not want to have a guest crammed in the back.

Its funny how things are different in the backseat. I did not have to worry about driving so I was really able to pay attention to my surroundings, and the other people in the car. Also, I kept quite because it was hard for people in the front to hear me. So I got to do a great deal of listening.

I got to hear Peggy tell all about what goes on at the church that Donnie grew up in. The gossiping, true or not, has kept Peggy away from the church for a long time. I think that is so sad. Gossip can destroy a church.

I also got to hear Georgie (who was a drug user/dealer until he just recently got out of rehab) tell stories of the ghetto, until we dropped him off at the strip club. (side note: Donnie and I did NOT go in the strip club...I just wanted to make that clear) (Another side note: Georgie was going there to see about fixing a man's truck...Donnie wanted to make that clear) I think this was the first time that Mint had ever been to a strip club!


How different life is in the backseat (especially living in the ghetto). How different life is when we are quite, listen and watch. I hope I remember this lesson for awhile.

No comments: